Thursday, April 23, 2009

Race day is almost here!

As you may remember, our SS class decided back in January that we were going to run a 5k together as a class. I thought this might be a great way to kick start my physical fitness so I decided to attempt the race. Now keep in mind that I have never done something like this before, in fact I have never been a part of a race before (like I hated field day in school!). Our SS teacher graciously gave us a training schedule and I have stuck with it for the most part. The race is this Saturday and I am excited and scared. I am excited to participate in my first race BUT I am scared that I will not finish the race or that I will come in dead last.
I was talking to my Dad yesterday (my source of running encouragement-he has run many races) and he told me that I would do fine and he also told me about a few things that might help on race day. He told me to stay hyderated and eat a carb filled meal before the race. He also said that clothes that fit well, all the way down to my socks, would help (so I guess it is off to Academy Sports before the race). He also said to pace myself...not to start off so fast that I get burnt out towards the end. Thank you for all the wisdom Dad!!
The boys have soccer also Saturday morning so Chris will be taking them to their games and I will be headed off to the race. I'll let you know how everything turns out.

No comments: