Saturday, April 25, 2009

I DID IT!!

All the participants from our SS class

This morning started off like any other...I got up, ate breakfast, got the kids ready for Upward etc. but I did something today that I have never done before in my life! I ran a 5k race!! You have to understand, I am not an athlete. I decided to run this race because our SS class wanted to participate in it as a group event. I started training in mid January and worked my way up to running 3 miles. The race started a little after 10am and it was very HOT. I started off well but I had to walk a little going up the BIG hill that was part of the race twice. Chris and the kids even came by in the car, after Upward soccer, to cheer me on. I especially needed it at the exact time that they came by-I was going uphill.
A big thanks to Kameron who ran the last half of the race with me and was a great source of encouragement. Another big thanks to my brother, Nathan, who ran the race also and who won third place in his age category! Congratulations also go to Brad who placed second in his age category and Jo Ellen who placed third in hers. And how did I do you may ask...I finished in 42 minutes!! That is about the same time that it usually takes me to run it on the treadmill so I was very pleased. And hey I was a good 20-25 minutes ahead of the last person. Who-how!!

The whole group-including my brother

My proof that I actually participated in the race!

These are the flowers that my Dad, Mom, and brother bought me for running the race. They are so beautiful! My whole family was been such a great source of encouragement through this whole process. My only question now is..when is the next race???

8 comments:

Stacy said...

Tracy said you did really good:) Congrats!!!

Stacy said...

Oh I'm gonna borrow your picture to put on the face book page:)

Jo Ellen said...

I know I've said it already, but I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!

Diana Sheriff said...

Good job girl!!!

Tracy said...

Way to go! Same time next year? Well, a couple of hours earlier in the day....!

Anonymous said...

Jessica, I am very proud of you! You did such a great job running this 5K! I am glad we were able to do that together. Maybe we can do another sometime. Keep running! You gotta want it! :-)

Rhonda said...

Yea Jessica!! You did great...I know it must feel good! :) That was sweet of your family to get the flowers!

snookmama said...

good for you!